Despite the political improbability of this being counted as a standoff by the understanding P Chidambaram, this will be the most advocated course by us as Indian Food inflation starts into gear and despite non Food inflation now being below 4% the banks’ predisposition to trust their models earning a good profit in such rate cut cycles and the lack of transmission of last rate cut to bank rates across the board means the RBI governor will have more wiggle room later if he leaves rates untouched.
That is some simple policy math weighed in by a outside in look at the markets busy in the ranged groove. Market economists are hemmed in by the lack of bullish global prospects despite a healthy prognosis for 2013 just two months ago. CAD remains dangerously teetering on the brink and can easily be held hostage by Oil and other imports. Gold imports have not been capped off. Fisc parameters have not been resolved.
Indian markets have showed the same audacity for a bullish candle if only they were allowed to bully the experts and the pragmatic Duvvoori Subbarao. Most experts thus have agreed to a rate cut tomorrow as more likely but have correspondingly cut down on the wiggle room for growth in even 2014 and definitely the rest of 2013. While Bank Policy could traditionally go for a rate cut now, the only room it will have in the future is to nod sagely and say ‘we told you so’. The 6.8% WPI is no measure of the 11% CPI and never the twain shall meet.
This is not the last stand for central bank led monetary policy however and if rates are indeed not cut now and market forces continue to engender the positive turnaround in IIP , the Q3 policy in December 2013 could look much more positive and we could be near a good take off point where consecutive cuts could then support growth. A 10 Y yield at 7.75% therefore is no bad news and the guv has all my good faith support if he lets the rate cut go unannounced tomorrow.
- RBI likely to reduce rate by 25 bps on Mar 19, says HSBC (news.in.msn.com)
- Bank Policy Tuesday: RBI cuts rates in CRR and bank rate by 25 bp (awardz.wordpress.com)
- RBI monetary Policy Make or break for markets + Bank Nifty – Chart Update. (chartideas.wordpress.com)
- Wholesale inflation rises to 6.84% in February but rate cut expected (profit.ndtv.com)
- Bullying India’s Central Bank Won’t Help Its Economy (bloomberg.com)
- India: Rate-cut chances brighten after RBI Governor Subbarao praises ‘responsible budget’ (inflationnews.wordpress.com)
- RBI Governor warns of widening CAD (thehindu.com)