Questions of consolidation have changed to ways of finnagling the new target for Nifty though Domestic institutions keep selling as on Tuesday and not many found reason to miss the India Morning Report yesterdayas we probably cowered by the repeating of underperforming by ICICI Bank to expectations today decided to skip the report 9 strictly for personal reasons but no one would believe me)
ICICI Bank has also not outperformed though it belongs to a sector where PNB has managed to underscore recovery with jumpo profit growth and profits of INR 13 bln on NII of INR 37 bln ICICI Bank would likely out score them by Q4 itself in NII terms and did by no means perform badly though PNB’s beating estimates is finally carrying the banknifty into tomorrow’s new series. Expectations of high volumes in F&O expiry are likely to come to pass as TV18 yesterday itself reported a 44% rollover in Nifty futures into the February series.
The first 6300 targets from domestic broking houses have sneaked in and we are thinking more in terms of markets managing expectations as necessary without losing 6000 or 6100 in the Feb or next series and then steaming past 6600 is likely the plan but each is more defensive than the rest and it will be our recommendation too.
For one, policy execution has not improved, another, people could actually believe and wait for an up rating of the sovereign in the background of the current roadshows by the FinMin and thirdly the main perpetrators of missing NPAs coming back to bad debt like Allahabad Bank will be reporting pretty bad numbers as All bank reports today a 40% decline in Net yoy to INR 3 bln
Important reasons otherwise for keeping expectations hedged would include the importance of having a welfare budget for Chids’ Rahul and congress (UPA) and NaMo’s ‘threat’ to quietly come over to the center and rule which would likely spark off an important after reaction in India despite India Inc protestations of support with industry in Gujarat likely to be seen as a big positive for his candidature
ICICI Bank has reported a better NIM of 3.07% improving by 7 bp over last year and also sequentially keeping its new NIM targets alive and might even guide much better ranges Chanda Kochchar has hinted at in the last 3-4 quarters
- India Morning Report: Imported Durham Wheat and the JP Morgan BPO (awardz.wordpress.com)
- India Economic Upgrade destroyed in time for a questionable “manufacturing revolution”!! (awardz.wordpress.com)
- India Morning Report: Markets up but is the end of Banknifty fair? (awardz.wordpress.com)
- India Morning Report: Value breakdown continues to reassign Nifty weights, banks in trouble (awardz.wordpress.com)
- India Morning Report: Considering the velocity of the move, it is now improbable that the bull run is yet in progress? (awardz.wordpress.com)
- India Morning Report: A Hindi speech for another wannabe and more such stable tenets of Indian realism. (awardz.wordpress.com)
- India Morning Report: The Budget(ed) Roadshows, the royalties and the burden of the beast (awardz.wordpress.com)
- India Morning Report: A flurry of good results in Week 2 but markets wait more Budget news for FY 2014 (awardz.wordpress.com)