While not beating expectations, ICICI Bank’s improving fortunes, better retail traction and control on NPAs seem to have paid off for it to score the #2 bank in the country soon aheadof PNB and HDFC Bank (Pvt sector) with NII coming to INR 37 bln in the quarter and Other income INR 22 bln (standalone) , mainly advisory, dividend and fees and charges in commercial and retail banking totting up from its tarried state two years ago. Since, foreign banks have virtually skipped the Indian unsecured market making a fresh start. CASA has dropped in 2012, with even PNB scoring just 38% in CASA. At their best performance, ICICI Bank CDS still trade at near default scores of 160 bps
With the bank likely to report hawkish NPA policy compared to the PSU units looking to cop out of provisioning at the first sign of improvement, its profit growth in the Q3 of FY 2013 being flashed is indeed muted on year, but much better than the Q4 of previous fiscal and improving in course of the eyar but missing YOY growth except at a 30% growth in NII and just 20% profit growth even in Operating profit terms.
However the bank has already shown the required scale to jump into an imprtant #2 position in all parameters. (Rest after the management advice on the Q3 results)
- India Morning Report: Value breakdown continues to reassign Nifty weights, banks in trouble (awardz.wordpress.com)
- Bank Earnings India: YES Bank expected to grow to required size (Q3 FY2013) (awardz.wordpress.com)
- India Morning Report: A flurry of good results in Week 2 but markets wait more Budget news for FY 2014 (awardz.wordpress.com)
- What captains of banking industry have to say on rate cuts (profit.ndtv.com)
- Bank Earnings Season: Q3 FY 2013 :- Axis Bank delivers to growing expectations (awardz.wordpress.com)